With that in mind, I'd love to see some more stories (especially stories, but also art) about:
- Schoolgirls and salarymen and subcultures and modern Japanese pop culture.
- Japan outside Japan (we have two beautiful submissions that capture the delicate way Japanese culture touches the rest of the world; I would love one more of these set in LA.)
- Animals -- foxes and catfish and koi and herons and cats.
- Food. (If someone has a story built around an actual recipe, that would be amazing.)
- Folklore and legends -- I would love to see some of vibrant characters from Japanese folktale and mythology brought to life in new stories.
- Cherry blossoms and origami. ('Nuff said.)
- Futuristic Japan--robots, cyberpunks, high-tech. (Go ahead, send us that near-future science fiction!)
- Manga! I know there are some coming our way--but we haven't seen it yet. We would love at least one story in manga.
(Please do not send stories about the tsunami and the earthquake; we have received so many eloquent, touching stories about the disaster, but if we included them all, this book would read like a dirge when it is meant to be a celebration--a reminder that Japan is still a beautiful country.)
Thank you, everyone, who has already sent us something. It's because of you that this book is going to be beautiful.